Friday, July 11, 2008

Casting and such

Ever since my eyes were opened to the world of penmaking beyond the slimline kit (everyones first kit) I've been fascinated by all things you can do with pens. Casting in particular has been something I've been wanting to get into, but have lacked the motivation / project to use it for. Well the casting card has been pulled. A buddy of mine has been helping me with making some metal "sleeves" to help perfect my pen turning even more and when asking him how I could repay him the subject of a pen came up. Knowing that he is a fella who likes cars I asked if he would like me to make him a pen from carbon fiber. He thought it was a neat idea, but wasn't sold. I then sent him a picture of a pen I'd seen elsewhere made of it and his response was more what I expected the first time. He was sold, now I just needed to either find someone who would sell me a premade carbon fiber blank or... OR make one myself !

I decided to start my research and found out that doing clear casting is fairly simple. My biggest nemesis will be air bubbles. Since I don't have a pressure/vacuum pot I will have to make sure to eradicate all air bubbles from the resin before it sets, otherwise I could run the risk of having a trapped air bubble between my cast and carbon fiber, which of course would be a deal breaker. So to get started I need to get all the materials and something to cast it in. In any case it should be fun AND a learning experience. And if it works out I could make more in the future, but I'd also really love to experiment with color casting, which would be making entire pen blanks from scratch!

No comments: