Thursday, March 8, 2012

Now for something new.

As long as I've been making pens it has been a word of mouth sort of deal. In the past I've tried working with ebay and Etsy (with no luck) in order to entice people to purchase pens I think they want. While this isn't ideal, it would be nice to be able to continue making pens and not have it cost me money.

The most joy I see people get from my pens is going through the selection process where they get to pick hardware, then I work with them to find out what types of woods would fit well from them, give them a selection, and finally have them pick something out. When its finished, the person is left with something they had custom made for them and had a fun time "designing".

With this in mind, I'm trying something new in my Etsy store (http://www.etsy.com/shop/thepeninme). For starters I've enabled the option to request a custom pen from me on the sidebar of my store. Secondly I have made an actual listing for a pen that isn't made (http://www.etsy.com/listing/94814657/custom-order-handmade-wooden-pen). Hopefully this excites people and encourages them to be more of a part of the process than just going to Etsy and buying something already made!

No comments: